Social media

 

I looked at the pages of the Mielenterveyden keskusliitto. Even now, there are over a million people with mental health problems in Finland. I think mental health is a really good topic for social media, it's easy to produce content from it. They have 12.9 thousand followers on Instagram, and 27 thousand on Facebook. Through this, you can also find courses, lectures and events organized by many sub-organizations. There are videos on YouTube, the most views are with the series called Metalliitieri, which has received a whopping 29 thousand views with Marko Hietala's visit! Using celebrities in videos is an effective way to expand awareness of mental health issues.

Social media can certainly reach young people, and depending on the platform, people of other ages. People can recognize that aha, I think I suffer from this. This is not just my thing, there are others who feel the same way. Getting help can easily happen with a one-click tactic via the internet, if meeting people is exciting. The problem with social media, especially Instagram and TikTok, is that they are based on something other than text. Instagram is a service intended for images. If a picture doesn't arouse interest, people will scroll past it. On TikTok, videos last a maximum of 60 seconds. Their problem is the narrow amount of information. The title is important, because most people only read it. Instagram also has these short reels videos these days.

I would put lectures on YouTube myself. People could briefly advertise them on Instagram and TikTok. I would involve people from sub-organizations in the collaboration. The more people working in the most visible fields are involved, the more visibility they will get. Young social media influencers would effectively reach out to young people, but I understand that not everyone wants to come out, with their own weaknesses.


Julin, J. 2024. TikTok: Minkälaiset sisällöt toimivat parhaiten? Digiportaat. Retviered from: https://digiportaat.fi/tiktok-minkalaiset-sisallot-toimivat-parhaiten/. Accessed: 11.3.2025

Mielenterveyden keskusliitto. Retviered from: https://mtkl.fi/ Accessed: 11.3.20245

Pros and cons of social media in healthcare (2022 Guide). The Digitalis Blog. Retviered from: https://digitalismedical.com/blog/pros-and-cons-of-social-media-in-healthcare/Accessed: 11.3.2025

Venermo, A. 2020. Instagram reels perusteet. Folcan. Retviered from: https://folcan.fi/instagram-reels/. Accessed: 11.3.2025

Kommentit